So, today in church, in Young Womens, our Bishop talked about testimonies. We have a lot of new converts, and investigators come to our ward every Sunday, so topics are pretty basic. He wanted the girls to understand what testimony meetings are, and how you get a testimony. I LOVE my bishop. He is so sweet. He comes from the Boston area, and so he has this great accent, which totally adds to his character. He was telling us about his experience when he was converted, and a lot of times in this ward, I have to stop and think about how weird some things must be for people who haven't grown up in the church like me. I love hearing conversion stories. Anyway, so he's telling us about how he had no idea anything about the Mormon church, he had no idea who Joseph Smith was, but he knew by the way he felt when the Sister missionaries were teaching them, that whatever they were teaching him was of God, and it was true. He told us he remembers telling the Sisters that him and his wife wanted to be baptised, and they were so excited and the Sisters told them that the Elders would be by later that day to interview them. The Bishop was so nervous at that point. He had no idea who "The Elders" were. What were they going to look like, who and what were they? He said he pictured them to be like the Amish people, with tall black hats, and long curly side burns. At the time, my bishop lived in a house with a long driveway, and he kept watching that driveway waiting for a horse and buggy to come along carrying "The Elders". (we were all laughing so hard). Then I turned to my YW President and Counselor and said....can you imagine....not knowing who the "Elders" were, how weird that must have been?? They both said, Yes, We Remember. I had forgotten they too were both converts to the church.
I guess, I'm writing this on my blog, because for one, I love the experiences I'm having out here in the mission field, and what fun, interesting stories I hear. But also, because I guess I want to share how thankful I am to be a part of this LDS church, and to have the knowledge of the gospel. I'm thankful for my parents for helping me live on their testimonies until I was old enough to earn my own. Sometimes, I wonder if I was not raised in the church and was approached by the missionaries, would I have been as faithful? Maybe God knew I wouldn't and so he sent me with parents who would lead the way for me. Thanks Mom and Dad, I'm so grateful for you and I am who I am today because of you!
1 comment:
Jamie! Hi! Your family is so dang darling...I'm going to add u on my friend page if that is ok by you! I hope you are doing well and happy! Darling kids!!!
Post a Comment