I had a meltdown tonight, so I put myself in timeout. I've been here for an hour. I'm really starting to like it. I might need to have more meltdowns.
Let me tell you how it started.
I made dinner for my family, and we are all sitting down at the dinner table enjoying our meal. And that's where the perfect-family-dinner-moment ends. Easton hates it, and Aislee loves it so much she's finished it, and is still hungry. Lewis downed it too, so he starts whining for more food. Okay okay children...calm down, let's see...we had Lentil soup and asparagus, so I offer them strawberries or an apple...of course one says strawberries, the other says apple. So, I settle it and go for the apple. One wants skin on, one wants skin off, so I start cutting away, and still I can hear whining from all three......wait a second, I do have a husband here don't I?, oh yes, but he is miraculously deaf at the moment and apparently has no bodily functions, because he's just sitting there. (which to his benefit, is rare) I hand the baby a handful of goldfish (because it was the quickest thing I could get to) he throws them off his highchair and starts yelling at me again. Meanwhile, Aislee and Easton are both whining their apple requests...and something snaps in my head, I scream...and walk/run to my room, slam the door (because that's key in melt-down procedure), and walk in my bathroom, slam that door, and lock it. I sit down on the floor, count to 10 and breathe deep. Peace and quiet....wow....this is nice. I notice my laundry basket full of clothes that need to be put away, so I do it....all alone, this is actually really turning into a nice quiet moment for me, and I get to do my chores peacefully and quietly.
That's when I hear my door trying to open, which I ignore, and then I hear paper rustling under the door. A note from Aislee:
mom wus it me Easton
or Lewis or DaD
and are you (picture of a frowny face with tears) I love you
I write back:
Thanks Ais, I love you too. I'm ok, I just need to be in time out for a bit.
Another note:
You wrnt Being meen
wiy are you in time out wy are you Sad.
I love you. (the o's are replaced with hearts)
My reply:
I yelled, so I put myself in time out. I'm not sad, just frustrated. So I'm calming down. Love you.
Her reply:
Your Qute.
Then another note:
I am the mom Go to time out
Jest tiesing
You can do wut you want to do
I love you
I wrote: You make me (picture of a smiley face) then I let her in, and hurry and locked the door behind her.
Moral of my story. Meltdown's can sometimes turn into great things. And also, I'm an honest blogger, and this is an honest life moment. Also, when Aislee calls me after she's had kids and cries because she had a meltdown or feels like she's going to go crazy, I'm going to pull out my blurb blog book, and this entry will be bookmarked and I'll read it to her, and I bet ya it will make her smile and help her feel normal. And maybe I can read this soon and laugh. And maybe it will help someone else laugh today.
My life is wonderful, even my crazy moments.
And if only kids knew how wonderful time out really is!!
7 comments:
this was a really cute post and is a testament of what a great mother you are. i think time-outs are crucial, even for parents, so take your time :)
xo.
What a sweet thing little aislee is! I got kinda teary eyed reading the cute notes she wrote you. What a thoughtful little girl. I love that she put hearts for her o's! Seriously too precious!
you can tell aislee is VERY smart as well as very caring. You're a great mom.
you are such an awesome mother. Maybe I need to start doing that because I get so frustrated with just one. I go sooo crazy sometimes. love the post. miss you guys and love ya guys
Precious! I love your family so much it hurts!
i just love you jamie! this is such an adorable post! love blogs for this reason....how fun it will be to look back on this and laugh.
This is so funny. I just keep coming back to this and laughing. Heaven knows we have all felt like this!
Post a Comment