
he ro:-noun (heer-oh)
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal.
3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
When I read these definitions, I seriously almost cried. The word "hero" truly describes my husband. I wanted to write this entry into my "online journal" because this is a moment in my life I want to remember. I am learning/have learned valuable lessons, that I hope to always keep fresh in my mind.
Let me start with a brief update on life for us at this moment. We're struggling, in a way. And flourishing in others. Since November of 2008 after leaving a family business and interviewing for new jobs, finding one, then being laid off, we are still looking for full-time work. We do have part time work. We have handed in applications and resumes all over St. George and even Salt Lake. We are enrolled in a handful of government assitance programs trying to keep afloat in the sea of life. And as depressing and hard and humbling as this experience has been I truly have never been happier in my WHOLE life. Truly. Why? Because I have EVERYTHING I need, and NOTHING more.
Let me start with a brief update on life for us at this moment. We're struggling, in a way. And flourishing in others. Since November of 2008 after leaving a family business and interviewing for new jobs, finding one, then being laid off, we are still looking for full-time work. We do have part time work. We have handed in applications and resumes all over St. George and even Salt Lake. We are enrolled in a handful of government assitance programs trying to keep afloat in the sea of life. And as depressing and hard and humbling as this experience has been I truly have never been happier in my WHOLE life. Truly. Why? Because I have EVERYTHING I need, and NOTHING more.
(side note: not entirely true. we were able to go on a date the other night, thanks to my parents "funding" the date, and Brian's parents babysitting our children. thanks. it was wonderful!)
We went to the temple after being laid off a couple months ago, and came out realizing...."it's JUST a job". We have wonderful healthy children who will never be starving, and we are in love and happy, and really isn't that all you need? I couldn't feel more blessed.
On to the hero in my life. BRIAN!
Hero: definition #1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. Brian works part time at a local grocery store here in St. George as a cashier. Did we ever think that this kind of work would be something we would do for a living? Probably not. But, seriously, we are so thankful for it. It helps pay part of rent. I so admire Brian for the things he is doing for our family to keep us floating. Last week, he had a second interview for a job that would have been wonderful. He was so qualified for it, but we were humbled again, and realized that someone needed that job more than we did, he did not get it. After a day, we moved on. And we're waiting for more interviews. My husband is so brave and so noble.
Hero: definition #2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities, or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal. Just a few days ago, my husband performed a heroic act. And I give all credit to his dedication in being so faithful and always trying to "be his best". He had so many promptings from the spirit, and had he not been so in tune, we could have experienced some serious tragedy in our lives. He went to do a favor for his Dad- bring a skidsteer back to a friend. I was babysitting my little nephew Tayton and was busy giving him a bottle. Ais did not want to go, but he persuaded her to come with him and Easton. (miracle #1) They picked up the skidsteer, and when he was dropping it off to the friend, both the kids wanted to ride in it with him as he backed it off the trailor. He made them stay up on top of the hill and watch (miracle #2). Why not leave them in the car? and had Aislee not been with them, Easton would have DEFINITELY been in the skidsteer with Brian. To make a long story short, everything went wrong, the skidsteer got stuck, the trailor flipped up, still connected to the truck, and the emergency brake was not holding so the truck and trailor started rolling down the hill, fast. Brian had to jump off and avoid being crushed by the trailor......and to me so many situations in this incident could have been so much scarier. Not a car on the street was damaged...and there were cars around. He was so shaken up, he had blood all over his legs from hitting the pavement and rolling, a bruised heel, and some scrapes on his arm and back, and scratched up glasses. Nothing more. We may not have a job, but Heavenly Father is watching over us for sure. And my husband, in every instance, listened to the promptings of the spirit telling him what to do.
Hero: definition #3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc. Brian is the hero in my story. He is everything to me. He is my partner, my friend, my lover, my shoulder to cry on, and my eternal companion. He is my rock. I am strong and can make it through this life because he is with me.
We feel so completely lucky to have not experienced anything more tragic than not having enough work. I truly have realized what a person needs to survive and be happy, and money really has nothing to do with it. Really, we are getting by right now, and I know the future holds promising moments and experiences. I have been so humbled in the last few months, and have really been shown how important being happy and satisfied with life is. I wrote on facebook the other day: Simple Abundance (my sisters will laugh) Many people believe simplicity implies doing without. On the contrary....True simplicity as a conscious life choice illuminates our lives from within. Even though I've been "forced" to live simply because of our current situation....I have never found more happiness and noticed more blessings in my life. I am thankful for my abundantly simple life!
We feel so completely lucky to have not experienced anything more tragic than not having enough work. I truly have realized what a person needs to survive and be happy, and money really has nothing to do with it. Really, we are getting by right now, and I know the future holds promising moments and experiences. I have been so humbled in the last few months, and have really been shown how important being happy and satisfied with life is. I wrote on facebook the other day: Simple Abundance (my sisters will laugh) Many people believe simplicity implies doing without. On the contrary....True simplicity as a conscious life choice illuminates our lives from within. Even though I've been "forced" to live simply because of our current situation....I have never found more happiness and noticed more blessings in my life. I am thankful for my abundantly simple life!
If happiness had value, I truly would be the richest woman in the world!!!
10 comments:
Jamie, I love this post SO SO much. I need to take your example, that's for sure.
Jamie, what a beautiful post! Brian is a hero, and I'm so proud he is my brother in law! I love you Jamie, and you still are such a strong example to me as when I was little. I look up to you so much.
Jamie, what a beautiful post! Brian is a hero, and I'm so proud he is my brother in law! I love you Jamie, and you still are such a strong example to me as when I was little. I look up to you so much.
Jamie what a cute and inspirational post! We all do have so much to be grateful for!
Jamie what a cute and inspirational post! We all do have so much to be grateful for!
So sweet.. I love how you pay tribute to Brian on your blog. So sorry to hear the job didn't work out. It wasn't meant to be I guess. We should get together again soon...!!! I'm home during the days now! CRAZY!
Thank you for sharing this. I feel very humbled :)
LOVE this post Jamie. Thank you for sharing..... :)
Jamie you and Bri are both so amazing! I am so glad you found each other! You guys have been so amazing and strong throughout this whole trial I have been very humbled... I love you both!
Ohh I love you guys. I was looking at the back of my van door today and saw the broken handle and remembered Brian skateboarding behind my van and how when he biffed it he took the handle with him. It made me smile. Anyway, back to your post, I can't wait to see how Heavenly Father unfolds your next chapter. Keep us all posted.
Post a Comment